Preparing for Academic Writing and Speaking
Understanding the task
Analyse the example questions below.
- Identify the topic.
- If the topic has a restriction or expansion, identify it.
- Search for the aspect.
- Identify the instruction.
- Check whether there is a viewpoint.
- Account for the large-scale immigration into Malaya in the late 19th Century.
- Analyse the changes in US policy towards China during the 1970s.
- Assess the contribution of Asoka to the spread of Buddhism in India.
- Explain the concept of 'role'. Of what use is the concept to a practising manager?
- Compare and contrast cellulose and lignin decomposition in soil.
- List the criteria you would apply to the presentation of government expenditure policy.
- Critically discuss economies and diseconomies of scale.
- What deductions can be made after studying the cell exhibited at C?
- Evaluate the contribution of political parties to the development of public policy in the United States and Canada.
- To what extent does the British public participate in the political process?
- What factors determine the elasticity of demand curves?
- Describe the histology and functional importance of striated muscle.
- Illustrate your answer by typical temperature profiles.
- Discuss the implications of the Milgram and Zimbardo experiments for understanding people's behaviour in situations involving authority.
- Discuss the use of behaviour therapy in clinical psychology and comment on its limitations.
- Illustrate the diversity of anaerobic bacteria by reference to either practical importance or mechanism of energy generation.
- Outline the requirements as to 'locus standi' in relation to injunctives and declaratives.
- Discuss the role of international capital movements in a world payments system.
- Define Administrative Law indicating its general scope and function.
- Consider the significance of the year 1848 for the Hapsburg Empire.
- Summarise the main requirements of the law in respect of the employer-employee relationship.
- 'They are often at a disadvantage in dealing with industry at a technical level.' How valid is this criticism of British Civil Servants?
- To what extent is an understanding of the various approaches to industrial relations useful in allowing us to make better sense of the changing nature of the employment relationship?
- Discuss the extent to which Human Resource Management and its associated individualism has led to a demise in collectivism and the role of trade unions.
- Discuss the respective influences of states and markets in the contemporary world economy characterised by globalisation.
- Analyse the process of transition from a command economy to a market economy, drawing upon the many recent examples.
Press this if you want to check your answers: Answer