Preparing for Academic Writing and Speaking
- Identify the topic.
- If the topic has a restriction or expansion, identify it.
- Search for the aspect.
- Identify the instruction.
- Check whether there is a viewpoint.
- Account for the large-scaleimmigration into Malayain the late 19th Century.
- Analysethe changes inUS policy towards Chinaduring the 1970s.
- Assessthe contribution of Asoka to the spread ofBuddhism in India.
- Explain the concept of 'role'. Of what use is the concept to a practising manager?
- Compare and contrastcellulose and lignindecomposition in soil.
- List the criteria you would apply to the presentation of government expenditure policy.
- Critically discusseconomies and diseconomies of scale.
- What deductionscan be made after studying the cell exhibited at C?
- Evaluatethe contribution of political parties tothe development ofpublic policy in the United States and Canada.
- To what extent does the British public participate in the political process?
- What factorsdetermine the elasticity ofdemand curves?
- Describe the histology and functional importance of striated muscle.
- Illustrate your answer by typical temperature profiles.
- Discuss the implications of the Milgram and Zimbardo experimentsfor understanding people's behaviour in situations involving authority.
- Discussthe use ofbehaviour therapyin clinical psychology andcomment on itslimitations.
- Illustrate the diversity of anaerobic bacteria by reference to either practical importance or mechanism of energy generation.
- Outlinethe requirements as to 'locus standi' in relation to injunctives and declaratives.
- Discussthe role ofinternational capital movementsin a world payments system.
- DefineAdministrative Lawindicating itsgeneral scope and function.
- Considerthe significance of the year1848for the Hapsburg Empire.
- Summarise the main requirements of the lawin respect of the employer-employee relationship.
- 'They are often at a disadvantage in dealing with industry at a technical level.' How valid is this criticism of British Civil Servants?
- To what extent is an understanding of thevarious approaches toindustrial relationsuseful in allowing us to make better sense of the changing nature of the employment relationship?
- Discuss the extent to whichHuman Resource Management and its associated individualismhas led to a demise in collectivism and the role of trade unions.
- Discuss therespective influences ofstates and marketsin the contemporary world economy characterised by globalisation.
- Analysethe process of transition from a commandeconomyto a market economy, drawing upon the many recent examples.
Back to: Understanding the Task