English for Academic Purposes: Vocabulary
Vocabulary is important in EAP.
When you find a word you do not know, it is important to decide how much it is necessary to know about the word. You may need some or all of the following. A good dictionary will help.
In order to succeed in HE in English, you need:
- vocabulary building skills, for example:
- use of prefixes, suffixes and roots to produce words;
- knowledge of construction of compound nouns and adjectives;
- ability to change word forms (nouns to verbs etc),
- information about families (synonyms, antonyms, hyponyms etc